Homeopathy for Sleep disorders
It is often said ” Sleep is the best cure for waking troubles ” and indeed how true it is !!
But very often people are deprived of a sound peaceful sleep .Sleeplessness or medically known as Insomnia is defined as inability to fall asleep and or difficulty in staying asleep..
Insomnia can occur at any age group , can be short term ( upto 3wks ) and long term ( more than 3-4 weeks).
Consequences of sleeplessness:
These may vary from person to person and include some or all of the following in varying intensities:
- Lack concentration at work
- Memory problems
- Mood swings
- Accident proneness or automobile related accidents
- Inability to handle stressful situations effectively
- Can trigger Headaches like Migraine etc.
Out of desperation,sometimes sufferers take sleeping pills which can help when used occasionally but long term use can cause addiction .
Difficulty in falling asleep in the beginning of night ,is often a symptom of Anxiety.
Also,Early morning awakening,or getting up (more than 30mins ) earlier than the desired time with inability to go back to sleep is often a characteristic of Depression.
Insomnia affects all age groups but people in the following group have higher chances of acquiring Insomnia:
- Individuals older than 60
- History of mental health disorder including depression, etc.
- Emotional stress
- Working late night shifts
- Travelling through different time zones
Treatment : It is most important to rule out medical and psychological causes to decide the treatment.Treatment will depend on the cause and treat medical conditions contributing to insomnia like depression,breathing problems and chronic pain
Homeopathic treatment for Sleeplessness:
Homoeopathy treats the cause ,so whether it is anxiety,stress,hormonal disturbance or depression or any medical condition, the treatment is aimed towards the cause and hence cures the sleeplessness from the root level.
Benefits of Homeopathy in Sleeplessness:
- Treats the cause
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Not Habit forming
- No have any side-effects
- Calms and relaxes the mind
- Helps to effectively handle the stress if the cause of sleeplessness.
Few Homeopathic medicines for Sleeplessness : Every case of sleeplessness is different as every individual is different.Homeopathy treats the individual and not the disease per se. Hence , a detailed evaluation of the case is required.The medicines listed below is only for the purpose of information . Kindly do not self medicate .
Nux vomica : said to be the medicine of modern lifestyle ..commonly known as ‘Poison Nut‘. and is used for various ailments from drug abuse to acidity and also sleeplessness.Patient cannot sleep at night and goes to sleep early morning .Eventually has difficulty in getting up and is unfresh . Feels has not slept enough …sleeplessness due to the stress of modern lifestyle.
Coffea Cruda : prepared from roasted coffee beans.especially suited for people who are over sensitive to any external stimulus and over reactive.Sleeplessness accompanied with restlessness is a key note.Insomnia due to disturbed dreams,excitement, joy or surprises,fright or grief.Lots of thoughts …mind full of ideas !
Passiflora incarnata : also known as ‘Passion flower‘ for sleeplessness due to mental exhaustion. Passiflora calms the nervous system and induces a sound and peaceful sleep.
Kali phosphoricum : A good remedy for Somnambulism.Conditions arising from neurasthenia,mental and physical depression have shown wonderful effects with this medicine.
Self Care tips :
- Maintaining a consistent sleeping schedule, such as waking up and sleeping at the same time.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks during the 8 hours before sleeping time.
- While exercise is essential and can aid the process of sleeping, it is important to not exercise right before bedtime, therefore creating a calm environment
- Try a relaxation exercise or meditation or listen to some soft, soothing music to relax your mind if you are not getting sleep.
- Have a warm bath before you go to sleep.
- If you can’t sleep, get up and do something for a while; later try to go back to sleep again.
- Quit smoking- nicotine can contribute to sleeplessness.