‘Navratri’ is specifically known for worshipping goddess Durga. Dandiya and Garba Rass are the highlights of the festival in Gujarat, while farmer sow seeds and thank the Goddess for her blessings and pray for better yield.
Navratri is usually accompanied by a change in weather which generally affects the body’s ability to fight diseases. Also people after their regular whole day of work play Garba raas at night which goes on till the wee hours in the morning and hence there is a total disturbance in their daily routine. Under such circumstances the immunity tends to slighty fall inviting some common ailments like fever, cough and cold etc…
Some of the common ailments during these 9days of Navratri are :
- Dust allergy: Due to the exposure of dust while playing Dandiya and Garba ,many people tend to suffer from dust allergy which include symptoms like incessant sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose ,irritation in the ears,nose. Take Sabadilla 30 3pills three times a day and Hepar Sulph 30 3pills three/day for throat irritation.
- .Cracks on feet : As they dance bare feet on ground , many are prone to get cracks on their feet. Treat it by putting feet in warm water containing salt and later apply Petroleum 30 ointment twice/day.
- Acidity ,Indigestion: Due to late nights and irregular routine , one is prone for heartburn, gas formation . Take Nux vomica 30 3pills three times a day.
- Nickel allergy : Wearing artificial jewellery may not suit all, Some may get rashes,redness and itching. Take Graphites 30 3pills three/day.
- Take Berberis Aquifolium 30 twice a day to have a clear spotless skin. Always wash off the make up before going to bed.
Moreover, eat small quantities of food at regular intervals even if you are fasting to make this navratri joyful and healthy.
So,have a safe and happy Navratri 2013 !!
Premature Greying of Hair
Salt and pepper, silver, charcoal or whatever you call it, grey hair happens to all of us at some point. But why do some people go grey in their 20s while others don’t see the first sign of silver until age 50? If you’re going grey early, what are your options?
Premature graying of hair is characterized by circumscribed or general lack or loss of normal pigment. It is also called as Canites, Blanching of hair, Grey hair, Poliosis and Whiteness of the hair
‘Graying’ of hair is due to the gradual loss of the melanocytes’ pigment – melanin. In white hairs the melanocytes are absent.
Premature Greying of hair typically starts at the in the mid- 30s in the white people, Asians in their late 30s, and African-Americans in their mid-40s. Half of all people have a significant amount of grey hair by the time they turn 50.
Going grey, by itself, does not mean you have a medical problem, except in rare cases.
Causes of Greying.
Contrary to popular belief, stress has not been shown to cause gray hair. Scientists don’t know exactly why some people go gray early, but genes play a large role.
Some research has suggested a connection between premature graying and lower bone density later in life. But in 2007, a study of about 1,200 California men and women showed no such link.
- Genes play a major role
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency or
- Problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature graying that’s reversible if the problem is corrected.
- A faulty diet is the two primary causes of premature greying of hair. It is mainly due to the lack of iron, copper and iodine in the daily diet that this hair disorder is caused at a young age these days.
- Some say, Mental worries, stress produce an extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp which interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair. Similarly, anxieties, fear, jealousy and failures have adverse effects on the hair. They dry out the scapular marrow, the vital part at the root of the hair.
- Unclean conditions of the hair weaken the roots of the hair as the pores are blocked by the dirt.
- Washing the hair with hot water and drying them in electric dryers which emit a blast of hot air.
- Use of hair dyes in earlier stages also increases the problem.
Homeopathy in premature greying of hair
Homoeopathy can be a boon for those suffering from grey hair.Its is a wholistic system of medicine.Detailed case history is taken and depending on the cause , the medicines are prescribed .
A few Homeopathic medicines commonly used for premature greying of hair are:
Lycopodium,Acid Phos, Nat mur, Graphites,Sulphur,Thuja,Thyroidinum and Psorinum
Lycopodium: Beginning on temples and vertex the hair turns gray early and falls out profusely, even to baldness, while it grows and increases.
Acid Phos : Hair gray early in life; falls out. Hair thins out, turns gray early.Very oily, soft, flaxen hair, which turns gray early and falls from head and beard, especially after grief and care.
Sulphur : Tinea capitis, dry form.Scalp dry, falling of hair; worse, washing.The hair of the head aches, when scratching the head. Pain of the roots of the hair, especially when touched.Falling out of the hair.Itching pimples on the hairy scalp.
Psorinum: Gray hair in spot.Humid eruption on scalp; hair matted. Hair dry. Hair feels pulled.
- Vit B containing food like yeast, yoghurt ( curd) ,wheat germ help in preventing greying of hair.
- Sources of Iron like carrots, dates, bananas and similar other vegetables and fruits. Carrots are especially useful in furnishing fresh blood and maintaining the health of the hair.
- Liberal intake of curry leaves is considered beneficial in preventing greying of hair. These have the property to give vitality and strength to the hair toots. Theses leaves can be used in chutneys, dals and also squeezed in buttermilk.
Amla is a valuable hair tonic for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation. The fruit cut into pieces should be dried, preferably in shade. These pieces should be boiled in coconut oil till the solid matter becomes like dust. This darkish oil is very useful in preventing greying.
Massaging the hair with a tea spoon of amla juice mixed with a teaspoon of almond oil, at night, has also proved beneficial.
The butter made from cow’s milk has to the property to prevent greying of hair. This can be massaged into the hair roots twice a week.
Natural Hair Dye
- Take one cup of aamla (dry) and two cups of curd. Keep the mixture in an iron vessel overnight, mash and apply on your scalp. Your hair will gradually get its colour back.
- A paste of henna leaves, boiled in coconut oil to get darkish oil can be used as a hair dye to blacken grey hair. The paste itself can be applied to the hair and washed away after few hours to dye the grey hair.
- Washing the hair with concentrated tea extract twice a week is considered useful in colouring grey hair to brown /black.
Dr. Neha Smart
We all look forward to the summer – sunshine, school holidays, rest and relaxation. But the summer can bring its own problems and stresses with it. Homeopathy can help keep you healthy over the summer, making life easier for all the family.
From travel sickness and holiday accidents to common summer ailments such as hayfever there are hundreds of homeopathic remedies you can buy for the everyday stuff that causes you stress in the summer.
With homeopathy you know you are using natural medicines that work with your body, provide gentle relief and are safe for use by all the family, and safe to use with other medication. Homeopathy is different from conventional medicines – it works in a different way. It works with you, not against you. It’s natural and safe, with no known side-effects.
1. Common holiday remedies :
- Travel sickness? Nux-vomica 30c for dizziness with nausea or Ipecac 30c for deathly nausea and vomiting
- Fear of flying? Aconite 30c, before you leave and on the day you fly.
- Prone to jet-lag? Arnica 30c on the day you fly and when you get home
- Sun-burn & high temperatures? Belladonna 30c and a calendula-based cream
- Food-poisoning? Arsenicum 30c and drink plenty of water
- Nasty bites and stings? Apis 30c and a cold compress
- Sprains, twists and other accidents? Arnica 30c first, then Ruta-grav 6c to follow
- Prickly heat? – Nat mur 6c or Pulsatilla 6c and a calendula-based cream
2. Seasonal allergies and hayfever:
Homeopathy can help with chronic illness such as allergies and has a good track record in this area. The following remedies can help the symptoms:
- Streaming sore nose, drips like a tap? Nat-mur 6c six times a day
- Sneezing,itching in nose ? Sabadilla 30 three times a day.
- Cold and burning in eyes ? Justicia and euphrasia 30 three times a day.
3. Skin care —
- Prickly heat.-This is characterised by small eruptions all over the body with itching and burning sensations. Avoid synthetic clothes. Loose fitting cotton clothes help the skin to breathe. Kali bich is a good remedy to reduce these eruptions. Sulphur and Psorinum are also effective remedies for prickly heat.
- Skin tan or hyperpigmentation. This occurs due to increased production of melanin. The skin looks blotchy and uneven. Apply a sunscreen lotion daily . Avoid using perfumes while going out in the sun as it could irritate the skin. A detailed evaluation with a homeopathic physician is suggested. Application of lime juice or raw potato paste on the affected part helps in lightening the skin.
- Cool Fundas
— Drink plenty of fluids
— Include salads and fruits in your diet
— Avoid oily and greasy food
— Take a cold shower twice a day
— Wash your face often with cold water
— Wear loose fitting, cotton clothes to help the skin breathe
— Use sun screen while going out
— Use sun glasses to protect eyes from the harsh rays of the sun
— Exercise regularly