Premature Greying of Hair
Salt and pepper, silver, charcoal or whatever you call it, grey hair happens to all of us at some point. But why do some people go grey in their 20s while others don’t see the first sign of silver until age 50? If you’re going grey early, what are your options?
Premature Greying of hair typically starts at the in the mid- 30s in the white people, Asians in their late 30s, and African-Americans in their mid-40s. Half of all people have a significant amount of grey hair by the time they turn 50.
Going grey, by itself, does not mean you have a medical problem, except in rare cases.
Causes of Greying.
Contrary to popular belief, stress has not been shown to cause gray hair. Scientists don’t know exactly why some people go gray early, but genes play a large role.
Some research has suggested a connection between premature graying and lower bone density later in life. But in 2007, a study of about 1,200 California men and women showed no such link.
- Genes play a major role
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency or
- Problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature graying that’s reversible if the problem is corrected.
- A faulty diet is the two primary causes of premature greying of hair. It is mainly due to the lack of iron, copper and iodine in the daily diet that this hair disorder is caused at a young age these days.
- Some say, Mental worries, stress produce an extraordinary tension in the skin of the scalp which interferes with the supply of vital nutrition necessary for the health of the hair. Similarly, anxieties, fear, jealousy and failures have adverse effects on the hair. They dry out the scapular marrow, the vital part at the root of the hair.
- Unclean conditions of the hair weaken the roots of the hair as the pores are blocked by the dirt.
- Washing the hair with hot water and drying them in electric dryers which emit a blast of hot air.
- Use of hair dyes in earlier stages also increases the problem.
Homeopathy in premature greying of hair
Homoeopathy can be a boon for those suffering from grey hair.Its is a wholistic system of medicine.Detailed case history is taken and depending on the cause , the medicines are prescribed .
A few Homeopathic medicines commonly used for premature greying of hair are:
Lycopodium,Acid Phos, Nat mur, Graphites,Sulphur,Thuja,Thyroidinum and Psorinum
Lycopodium: Beginning on temples and vertex the hair turns gray early and falls out profusely, even to baldness, while it grows and increases.
Acid Phos : Hair gray early in life; falls out. Hair thins out, turns gray early.Very oily, soft, flaxen hair, which turns gray early and falls from head and beard, especially after grief and care.
Sulphur : Tinea capitis, dry form.Scalp dry, falling of hair; worse, washing.The hair of the head aches, when scratching the head. Pain of the roots of the hair, especially when touched.Falling out of the hair.Itching pimples on the hairy scalp.
- Vit B containing food like yeast, yoghurt ( curd) ,wheat germ help in preventing greying of hair.
- Sources of Iron like carrots, dates, bananas and similar other vegetables and fruits. Carrots are especially useful in furnishing fresh blood and maintaining the health of the hair.
- Liberal intake of curry leaves is considered beneficial in preventing greying of hair. These have the property to give vitality and strength to the hair toots. Theses leaves can be used in chutneys, dals and also squeezed in buttermilk.
Amla is a valuable hair tonic for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation. The fruit cut into pieces should be dried, preferably in shade. These pieces should be boiled in coconut oil till the solid matter becomes like dust. This darkish oil is very useful in preventing greying.
Massaging the hair with a tea spoon of amla juice mixed with a teaspoon of almond oil, at night, has also proved beneficial.
The butter made from cow’s milk has to the property to prevent greying of hair. This can be massaged into the hair roots twice a week.
Natural Hair Dye
- Take one cup of aamla (dry) and two cups of curd. Keep the mixture in an iron vessel overnight, mash and apply on your scalp. Your hair will gradually get its colour back.
- A paste of henna leaves, boiled in coconut oil to get darkish oil can be used as a hair dye to blacken grey hair. The paste itself can be applied to the hair and washed away after few hours to dye the grey hair.
- Washing the hair with concentrated tea extract twice a week is considered useful in colouring grey hair to brown /black.
Dr. Neha Smart